× Search
Canon applies for a patent for an improved electronic variable ND filter
/ Categories: Canon Patents
This post may contain affiliate links(s). An affiliate link means I may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through my link, without any additional cost to you. It helps to keep this site afloat. Thank you in advance for your support. If you like what we do here, maybe buy me a coffee.

Canon applies for a patent for an improved electronic variable ND filter

This patent application is looking at improving the light wavelight response of the ND filter as you increase the ND value.  It is preferred that the ND amount remain consistent throughout the visible light wavelength as this prevents whitebalance shifting, and color casting.  This patent deals with different chemical compounds that react to electricity to provide the ND filter.  This filter sits just in front of hte image sensor as part of the sensor filter stack (109 or 101 in the image).


Previous Article Canon applies for patent for an improved shutter assembly
Next Article Canon Patent application: Lenses for APS-C compact cameras
blog comments powered by Disqus

Keep In Touch


How to view Japan Patent applications.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way of linking to the patent application (sad!) however, this is the easiest process to view a japan patent or application.

  1. Go to the Japan Patent Office search page.
  2. If it's a patent application (they are usually in the format of Year-Number ie: 2017-011300) then type the patent application number into the second field down from the top where it says publication of patent application. 
  3. Click on search.
  4. Then click on the patent application number link, and there's the patent application!

Our Preferred Sponsors

Want to buy me a coffee?

Free Shipping to the USA and Canada*

Use CANONNEWS for $10 off AuroraHDR

Use CANONNEWS for $10 off Luminar

*Conditions may apply


Terms Of UsePrivacy Statement© 2023 by CanonNews. This site is not affiliated with Canon Inc. or it's subsidiaries.
Back To Top