× Search
Canon Patent Application: Speedbooster adapter for EOS-M
/ Categories: Canon Patents
This post may contain affiliate links(s). An affiliate link means I may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through my link, without any additional cost to you. It helps to keep this site afloat. Thank you in advance for your support. If you like what we do here, maybe buy me a coffee.

Canon Patent Application: Speedbooster adapter for EOS-M

We found a patent last week that gave us our first indications that Canon may be looking at speed-boosters for the EOS-M, and this week, we now have some definite proof.

This patent application is for a converter that takes a EF lens (long registration distance lens) and reduces the focal length and decreases the aperture at the same time.

The example they give is ta 51.46mm F1.45 lens with an image height of full frame, and a 39.80 back focus (an EF full frame lens) and converts that to a 40mm F1.19 with an image height of 13.66 (APS-C) with a 18mm back focus (EOS-M APS-C)

Where the previous patent we found specifically mentions that it's not a patent in regards to the converter lens itself, this patent application is specifically containing a canon focal reducer (speedbooster) lens.

What good is a speedbooster or focal reducer lens.  it changes the angle of view of a lens so that when you put a full frame lens on a crop camera body, the camera angle of view is similar to the angle of view that the lens had on a full frame camera body.

Of course with all the patent applications, this is something Canon is researching, and may never reach our hands as a finished product.

Japant Patent Application 2018-189864


Previous Article Canon Patent Application: 1" sensor zoom lens
Next Article Canon Patent Application: DO Supertelephotos
blog comments powered by Disqus

Keep In Touch


How to view Japan Patent applications.

Unfortunately, there's no direct way of linking to the patent application (sad!) however, this is the easiest process to view a japan patent or application.

  1. Go to the Japan Patent Office search page.
  2. If it's a patent application (they are usually in the format of Year-Number ie: 2017-011300) then type the patent application number into the second field down from the top where it says publication of patent application. 
  3. Click on search.
  4. Then click on the patent application number link, and there's the patent application!

Our Preferred Sponsors

Want to buy me a coffee?

Free Shipping to the USA and Canada*

Use CANONNEWS for $10 off AuroraHDR

Use CANONNEWS for $10 off Luminar

*Conditions may apply


Terms Of UsePrivacy Statement© 2024 by CanonNews. This site is not affiliated with Canon Inc. or it's subsidiaries.
Back To Top