This post may contain affiliate links(s). An affiliate link means I may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase through my link, without any additional cost to you
. It helps to keep this site afloat. Thank you in advance for your support. If you like what we do here, maybe buy me a coffee.
The Canon R5 Details - Updated 10:44PM
After the specifications have released and the USD pricing I think it's fair to break out these into their own individual articles, as we probably won't hear much more now until the official release.
The good news of the day is the fact that the R5 will indeed come under $4000, with the MSRP of $3899, being leaked by CanonRumors just now.
Make no mistake - this will be a highly sought after camera, you had best get on a pre-order list as fast as possible if you want ANY chance of getting in on the first shipments.
From the CNET article, we know that the body is magnesium alloy with the tripod screw hole being zinc die cast. It's according to CNET, dust and drip proof. EVF framerate supports up to 120Hz. We've added in CIPA ratings from the CNET article.
AF according to CNET will even be able to detect shoes, helmets, and the back of the subject - it will be curious to see how that all works out. Also mind boggling - the AF will operate down to F/22!! Meaning that those F11's with AF with a 2.0x teleconverter.
According to CNET, 4K recording is limited to 30 minutes and 8K is limited to around 20 minutes (temperature) at 23C.
Update 10:44PM - we've added a summary provided by Nokishita
What we do know about the video details that aren't mentioned in the below specifications.
- 8K RAW internal video recording up to 29.97 fps
- 8K internal video recording up to 29.97 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265).
- 4K internal video recording up to 119.88 fps in 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log (H.265)/4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265). 4K external recording is also available up to 59.94 fps.
- No crop 8K and 4K video capture using the full-width of the sensor.*
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF available in all 8K and 4K recording modes.
- Canon Log available in 8K and 4K internal recording modes.
Canon R5 Pricing
- Canon EOS R5 £4199 (UK Inc VAT)
- Canon EOS R5 $3899
- Canon EOS R5 w/24-105mm f/4L IS USM $4999
Canon R5 Specifications
- Canon RF lens group (excluding EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses)
- When using Mount Adapter EF-EOS R: Canon EF or EF-S lenses (excluding EF-M lenses)
- CMOS sensor (compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF)
- Approx. 4.40 micro m square
- 3:2 (Horizontal: Vertical)
Color Filter System
- RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
- Installed in front of the image sensor, non-detachable..
- Compliant to Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.3
- JPEG, HEIF, RAW (CR3, 14 bit RAW format), C-RAW (Canon original); Movies: ALL-I, IPB, RAW
- OLED color electronic viewfinder; approx. 5.76 million dots resolution
- Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally relative to the shooting image area (with image quality L, at approx. 23mm eyepoint).
- Magnification / Angle of View
- Approx. 0.76x / Approx. 35.5 degrees (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m)
- Eye Point
- Approx. 23mm (at -1 m from the eyepiece lens end)
- Dioptric Adjustment Range
- Approx. -4.0 to + 2.0 m (dpt)
- Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Electronic first curtain or mechanical shutter
- Electronic shutter
- When [Mechanical] or [Elec. 1st- curtain] is set: 1/8000-30 sec, bulb
- When [Electronic] is set: 1/8000-0.5 sec.
- Mechanical Shutter: 1/200 sec.
- Elec. 1st-curtain: 1/250 sec.
- Soft-touch electromagnetic release
- 10-sec. delay, 2-sec. delay
- TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
- Monitor Size
- 3.2-inch (screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
- 3.15 in./8.01cm diagonal (2.63 in./6.67cm width, 1.75 in./4.44cm height)
- Approx. 100% vertically/horizontally
- Brightness Control
- Manually adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
- Clear View LCD II
- Anti-smudge coating applied.
- Anti-reflection coating not applied.
- 29 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian,Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish,Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, Japanese)
- DS-SS modulation (IEEE 802.11b)
- OFDM modulation (IEEE 802.11g/n/a/ac)
Transition Frequency (Central Frequency)
- 2.4 GHz band
- Frequency: 2412 to 2462 MHz
- Channels: 1 to 11 channels
- 5 GHz band
- Frequency: 5180 to 5825 MHz
- Channels: 36 to 165 channels
- CFexpress card:
- SD card speed class-compatible.
- SD card:
- Compatible with UHS-II
- Eye-Fi cards and Multimedia cards (MMC) are not supported.
- Viewfinder Shooting ECO Mode - 700 shots per battery, 1 hour and 20 minute 8K recording.
- High Speed Charging is supported
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 138 x 97.5 x 88mm
- Approx. 738g (including battery, SD memory card; without body cap)
- Approx. 650g (body only; without battery, card or body cap)
Canon EOS R5 Summary
Achieved the highest resolution performance in the history of the EOS series by the newly developed high-speed signal readout of a full-size CMOS sensor with about 45 million effective pixels, high-speed processing of the new video engine "DIGIC X", and high-performance "RF lens" It achieves both high image quality and high-speed continuous shooting.
● AF performance is improved as "dual pixel CMOS AF II" by high-speed signal readout of new CMOS sensor and high-speed processing of new image engine. When "Face + Tracking priority AF" is set, the distance measurement area is expanded to a maximum of approximately 100% (vertical) x maximum 100% (horizontal) of the screen. Furthermore, when shooting still images, the AF frame is automatically selected from a maximum of 1053 divided areas.
● Supports detection of human eyes, faces and heads. Compared with "EOS R", the detection performance of smaller eyes and profile is improved. In addition, it can detect the eyes, face and whole body of animals (dogs/cats/birds) to improve the capture rate of subjects.
● Achieved the low brightness focusing limit of EV-6. Achieves highly accurate focusing even in a dark environment where it is difficult for the naked eye to see the subject.
●High-speed AF of up to approximately 0.05 seconds is realized by optimizing the drive control of "Dual Pixel CMOS AF II" and "RF lens".
● Uses the AF algorithm installed in the "EOS-1D X Mark III". Comfortable shooting is possible with "Case 1 to 4", which have been preset with "Subject tracking characteristics" and "Tracking characteristics with respect to speed changes" in advance according to the scene, and "Case A (Auto)" that automatically switches according to the subject. Realization.
● When shooting with the electronic shutter, high-speed continuous shooting of up to about 20 frames/second is achieved with AF/AE tracking. You can shoot without worrying about the shutter sound in scenes such as facing wild animals and playing golf.
● When shooting with the mechanical shutter/electronic front curtain, high-speed continuous shooting of up to approximately 12 frames/sec.
● Built-in high-definition electronic viewfinder (EVF) with a field-of-view rate of about 100% that employs an organic EL panel of about 5.76 million dots. By setting the display frame rate to "119.88fps (smoothness priority)", it is easier to chase moving objects.
● "DIGIC X" realizes maximum ISO51200 (equivalent to extended ISO: 102400) when shooting still images.
● Supports still image/video recording in the "HDR PQ" method based on human visual characteristics. HEIF (10bit) recording that was done with RAW development software is realized in the camera.
● "Face lighting correction" is newly added to the auto writing optimizer function during RAW development. When the contrast of the face is high, it is possible to automatically correct the brightness of the face.
● "Strength" is added to the "Digital Lens Optimizer" that corrects lens aberrations.
● The world's first internal recording of 8K/30P video is realized by the high-speed signal readout of the CMOS sensor and the high-speed processing of the new video engine “DIGIC X”. Supports internal recording of movies in RAW data (12 bits) at 8K.
● Realizes 4K/120P high frame rate video shooting, enabling smooth video shooting.
● High quality 4K video can be generated from 8K rich data. Realize 4K/30P video by oversampling without cropping.
●In 8K/4K/full HD shooting, we realize smooth AF by "dual pixel CMOS AF II".
●Cannes can be used for rich-gradation video expression by utilizing Canon's original Log gamma “Canon Log”.
●For the first time in the EOS series, a correction mechanism that moves the image sensor in response to camera shake is adopted in the body. Achieves in-body image stabilization with 5 axes: horizontal rotation axis/vertical rotation axis/rotation axis/left/right/up/down. Even with a lens that does not have an image stabilizer, you can shoot comfortably from wide-angle to telephoto, depending on the combination of camera and lens.
● The world's highest 8.0-step image stabilization is achieved by the coordinated control of the optical image stabilization mechanism on the lens side and the in-body image stabilization mechanism. Comfortable shooting is possible even in shooting environments where camera shake is likely to occur, such as telephoto shooting and handheld shooting. When shooting movies, in addition to the coordinated control of the camera shake correction mechanism inside the body and lens, it is also possible to use the movie electronic IS together.
● Supports Wi-Fi/Bluetooth(R) connection to mobile devices such as smartphones. For the first time in the EOS series, it supports wireless LAN standards in the 5 GHz band as Wi-Fi with a built-in camera, enabling high-speed and stable communication.
● In addition to FTP and FTPS, when using the wireless file transmitter "WFT-R10B", it is possible to transfer by SFTP, realizing highly secure communication compatible with new authentication and encryption communication technology.
● Equipped with an automatic image transfer function from the camera to "image.canon". You can automatically transfer still images to "Google Photos" or "Adobe Creative Cloud" (membership plan) via "image.canon".
● Equipped with a shutter unit that achieved a shutter durability of 500,000 times. You can choose to open or close the shutter curtain when the power is off.
● Dust-proof/drip-proof structure is used to prevent water droplets and sand dust from entering the camera. In addition, a highly rigid magnesium alloy body that achieves both robustness and light weight ensures high reliability.
● Equipped with dual slots for CFexpress card (Type B) and SD memory card (UHS-II compatible).
● Equipped with a multi-controller that allows intuitive AF frame selection
blog comments powered by